Chocolate Coconut Cupcakes are rich, chocolatey, and infused with delicious coconut flavor. Best of all, they come together in just 30 minutes and couldn’t be easier to make!
If anyone were to ask me, I would probably say I’m not much of a cake person. And I never have been! I would take a delicious brownie or cheesecake or apple crisp over plain old cake any day of the week. Unless, of course……it’s loaded with FROSTING!!! Because as much as I’m not a cake person, I’m totally a frosting person. Which is an interesting combo, right?
It means that I’m the person who always wants the corner piece. The person who would gladly scrape the extra off the knife. The person who is constantly tempted to make a batch of frosting JUST to eat.
Of course, over time, I’ve come to realize that just eating frosting isn’t quite all it’s cracked up to be. I’ve come to realize there’s a better way to enjoy the frosting I love so much: with CAKE!
Yes, I’ve come to see cake as a vehicle for frosting. And, if you ask me, the best vehicle. Especially when it’s chocolate coconut cake, paired with rich smooth coconut frosting.
Okay, so let’s talk about coconut for a second. I feel like there are coconut lovers and then….there are coconut haters. Being a former coconut hater, I can honestly say it had more to do with the texture than the flavor. But with these cupcakes? Texture is not an issue! The coconut flavor comes from extract, not flakes. So you get all the delicious flavor in a smooth, velvety cupcake.
As for the chocolate? Well, these cupcakes get their flavor from cocoa powder, which I personally find so much easier than melted baking chocolate. Even better, the batter comes together in just 5 minutes and one bowl….and the flavor is fantastic. So. Whether you’re a cake person, a frosting person, a chocolate person, a coconut person, or all of the above….these cupcakes are gonna rock your world.
- 1 c. flour
- 1 c. sugar
- 1/4 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 3/4 c. milk
- 1/4 c. Kerrygold unsalted butter
- 1/2 tsp. coconut extract
- 1 egg
- For the frosting:
- 1/3 c. Kerrygold unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 4 1/2 c. powdered sugar
- 1/4 c. milk
- 1 tsp. coconut extract
- powdered sugar, for dusting
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add milk, butter, and coconut extract.
- Beat on low speed until combined. Then beat on medium speed 2 minutes.
- Add egg and beat 2 minutes more.
- Pour mixture into prepared muffin tins (greased or lined with paper liners), filling each about half full.
- Bake at 350 degrees 25-30 minutes or until tops of cupcakes are set.
- Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.
- Once cool, top with frosting and dust with powdered sugar.
- For frosting:
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat butter until light and fluffy.
- Add 2 cups powdered sugar and beat well.
- Slowly add in the milk and coconut extract.
- Slowly add in the remaining powdered sugar until you reach desired consistency (you may not use all of the powdered sugar).