3-cheese stuffed shells smothered with a creamy pumpkin sage alfredo sauce. Fall comfort food at its best.
Woo hoo! The weekend is finally here! And I am READY. I am ready for slower mornings, more relaxed afternoons, and a couple nights of no rushing around to get everything done before bedtime! I don’t know about you….but I look forward to weekends like nothing else. Even though I’m a stay at home mom, and it sometimes feels like all my days blend together anyway, there is something about weekends that I NEED! Especially during the school year!
And…..I’m kinda picky about our weekends. I want them to be not too empty, not too full, and definitely not full of things I don’t really want to do! In other words, I want them to be just right! At least as often as possible. This weekend? This weekend feels like one of those “just right” weekends. Tonight I get a fun night out with the ladies, tomorrow we have soccer games and a close family friend’s birthday party, and Sunday we have nothing to do but church in the morning and football in the afternoon. Just right if you ask me!
Not only do we get some good family time, some fun time with friends, and plenty of time to relax…..but there is very little need for me to cook! Which always feels just right, especially on the weekend. But….because I know that some of you WILL be cooking this weekend….I wanted to leave you with this delicious stuffed shells recipe. It’s simple to make and oh so delicious to eat. Perfect for a slow weekend, a busy weekend, or whatever type of weekend you’re about to have. Whatever it is, I hope you’re ready…and I hope it’s a good one!
- 12 jumbo pasta shells (for less full shells, use 18 jumbo pasta shells)
- 15 oz. ricotta cheese (I used fat free)
- ¾ c. shredded mozzarella cheese
- ⅓ c. grated parmesan cheese
- 1 beaten egg
- ½ tsp. ground sage
- ½ c. chicken broth
- ⅓ c. chopped shallots
- 1 tsp. minced garlic (2 cloves)
- 1 (15 oz.) jar alfredo sauce (I used Classico Light)
- ¾ c. pumpkin puree
- 1½ tsp. ground sage
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- Cook shells according to package instructions. Drain.
- In a medium bowl, combine ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese, egg, and ½ tsp. ground sage. Stir to combine.
- Divide cheese mixture evenly among shells and place stuffed shells on a baking sheet temporarily.
- Cook broth, shallots, and garlic in medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until shallots are tender and liquid has reduced by half.
- Stir in alfredo sauce, pumpkin, sage, salt, and pepper.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through.
- Pour sauce into baking pan; arrange stuffed shells on top.
- Bake, covered, at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Uncover and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes. Sprinkle with extra mozzarella or parmesan cheese, if desired.
- (*Sauce recipe adapted from Buitoni)