Sweet and tart key lime bars on a crumbled sugar cookie crust – these Key Lime Meltaways literally melt in your mouth…and are sure to leave you wanting more!
I’m not sure I’ve ever met someone who loves key lime as much as I do. And not just because it’s the perfect sweet-tart combination, or because it’s most often eaten in the form of a pie, but because, for me, it brings back instant memories of my honeymoon. It’s hard to believe my honeymoon was nearly 9 years ago now….in some ways, it feels just like yesterday! I remember so much of it – riding bikes around Sanibel Island, lying on the beach for an entire afternoon, eating endless baskets of crab legs, playing cards late at night by the pool, collecting seashells at Captiva beach……
…..and sampling the key lime pie at every restaurant we could! We both discovered a love for it early on and decided we would try all the different variations that Sanibel & Captiva Islands had to offer. Needless to say, between the baskets of crab legs dipped in melted butter, the pina coladas and strawberry daquiris, and the countless pieces of key lime pie, we were both completely stuffed by the end of our trip! Completely stuffed and completely ready to get back and start our lives together.
There are so many things in life that feel like they fly by and leave you wanting more. And you know what? My honeymoon wasn’t one of them! That sounds bad….I know. Don’t get me wrong – I loved every minute of it! And I would go back and do it all over in a heartbeat! But. At the beginning of our honeymoon I made a conscious decision to NOT let it fly by. I decided I would pay attention to the moments….and I hoped they would somehow last longer if I did.
And so, as we were riding our bikes around the island, I was taking a mental snapshot of the palm trees and stopping to feel the wind blow through my hair. As we were lying on the beach, I was smelling the salty air and committing to memory the feeling of the Florida sun on my back. And as we were enjoying our 18th piece of key lime pie (only a slight exaggeration) I was looking at the man across from me and realizing that I didn’t need anything more – I already had enough! Unfortunately, the same can’t be said about these Key Lime Meltaways. These sweet little bars leave you wanting more, each and every time. I guess some things are just like that.
- 1½ c. prepared sugar cookies, crumbled
- ⅔ c. unsalted butter, softened (not melted)
- 1½ c. powdered sugar
- 3 Tbsp. key lime juice
- zest of 2 key limes
- 3-4 key limes, sliced, for garnish
- Combine cookie crumbs and ⅓ c. butter in a medium bowl. Press onto bottom of an 9-inch square pan. Refrigerate until firm.
- Combine powdered sugar, ⅓ c. butter, key lime juice, and key lime zest in a small bowl. Beat at medium-high speed until light and smooth. Spread over crust.
- Score bars to desired size (approx. 1½ inch squares) and top each square with a key lime slice.
- Cover bars and refrigerate until firm, about 2 hours. Store in refrigerator. Remove lime slice before eating.
- (*Recipe adapted from The Cookie Cookbook: Citrus Cream Bars)
If you like these, be sure to check out some of my other delicious bar recipes!