This Summer Vegetable Breakfast Strata is loaded with fresh summer vegetables, crusty bread, two types of cheese, and crispy bacon. Perfect for any special occasion - this is one of our favorites!
So.....Mother's Day! Can you even believe it's next weekend? Do you have any fun plans? I always have to laugh when Mother's Day rolls around and all I want is a day away from my kids. I used to feel guilty about it....until I realized that every one of my mom friends feels the same way! Oh, the irony.
It makes sense, if you think about it. Because Mother's Day is supposed to feel different than other days.....and every other day of my life I'm taking care of kids! It's no wonder I long for break from routine - a massage and pedicure, or a day of shopping, perhaps? This is sound logic, wouldn't you agree?
Well, here's the thing. I don't feel that this year! (Whaaaat??) I'm serious. This year I would be 100% happy with a family day. It may have something to do with the fact that I just spent four days in Vegas....(I guarantee that's the only reason)....but nonetheless, it's a refreshing change. Heck, this year I would even make breakfast!
And you know what my ideal Mother's Day breakfast would be? This Summer Vegetable Breakfast Strata. It's a variation of a recipe I found years ago....and over the years I've tweaked it into the BEST breakfast strata ever! I love it because it's so loaded: fresh veggies, crispy bacon, crusty bread, two types of cheese....this is seriously the mother of all breakfast stratas. (You see what I did there??) Guaranteed to become a family favorite.
Best of all, so much of the prep for this strata can be done in advance. I like to chop the veggies, cut the bread, measure the cheese, cook the bacon, and even crack the eggs.....all the night before! It makes morning prep super minimal, so I can actually enjoy the day! Which, when it comes down to it, is obviously what Mother's Day is all about.
For those of you in Wisconsin, I found everything I needed for this recipe at Pick 'n Save. I love the fact that I can always count on their produce and selection, and you better believe I'll be heading back for everything I need this weekend! So....kidless or family-focused....I hope your Mother's Day is exactly what it should be. And whenever you decide to try this Summer Vegetable Breakfast Strata, I hope you love it as much as I do. Something tells me you will! For more recipe inspiration, visit Pick 'n Save on Facebook, Twitter, & Pinterest!
Summer Vegetable Breakfast Strata
- 1 small red onion thinly sliced
- 2 medium yellow squash thinly sliced
- 3 bell peppers thinly sliced (I used a combination of green, yellow & red)
- 8 oz. fresh mushrooms sliced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 12 oz. bacon cooked and crumbled
- 8 large eggs
- 1/4 c. half & half
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 8 oz. shredded mozzarella or Italian-blend cheese
- 8 oz. cream cheese cubed
- 2 1/2 c. dry French bread cubes
- Saute vegetables and garlic in olive oil over medium-high heat 15 minutes or until tender-crisp.
- Whisk eggs, half & half, salt, and pepper until blended.
- Stir in cooked, crumbled bacon, mozzarella cheese, cream cheese, and bread cubes.
- Add the sautéed vegetables and mix well.
- Spoon into a greased 9x13 inch baking pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until puffed up and firm to the touch.
- Can be served hot, cold, or room temperature.
Looking for the perfect side dish for this recipe? I've got you covered!