The Salty Dog is a refreshing cocktail made with just three ingredients. It’s easy to make and perfect for sipping on a hot summer day. A delicious combination of grapefruit juice and gin, with a salted rim, it’s a unique flavor combination that’s a well known classic. If you love grapefruit… this drink is for you!
When it comes to cocktails, I LOVE anything with grapefruit. Whether it’s a Paloma or a Grapefruit Vodka Press or a pitcher of Citrus Sangria, there’s something about grapefruit that gets me every time.
So when I heard about a drink called a Salty Dog… made with grapefruit juice and gin… I knew it was made for me. Not only is it incredibly easy to make, but it’s one of the most refreshing drinks I’ve ever had.
It has a delicious balance of flavors and just the right amount of sweetness… and the salted rim is the perfect finishing touch.
Make it by the glass or mix up a pitcher for the weekend! Either way, you can’t beat just three ingredients!
- 3 oz. grapefruit juice
- 2 oz. gin
- coarse salt
- grapefruit wedge (optional)
- Combine grapefruit juice and gin in a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake well.
- Strain into a salt-rimmed glass filled with crushed ice.
- Garnish with grapefruit wedge.
🌱 Recipe variations
- Substitute vodka or tequila for the gin
- Use grapefruit soda in place of grapefruit juice
- Add fresh rosemary or mint for an herbal flavor
- Add a splash of simple syrup
- Add sliced jalapeno or serrano peppers for a spicy kick
- Blend ingredients for a frozen drink
🧂 Salty Dog vs. Greyhound
Both drinks are made with grapefruit juice and gin. The only difference between the two is that the Salty Dog has a salted rim.
🍹 Related recipes
- Grapefruit Mojito
- Grapefruit Margarita
- Sex on the Beach
- Tom Collins
- Amaretto Sour
- Whiskey Sour
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 216Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 583mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 2gSugar: 8gProtein: 1g