I partnered with Phil’s Fresh Eggs to bring you this recipe, but all ideas and opinions are my own.
A Classic Croque Madame – made with sliced ham, swiss cheese, creamy béarnaise sauce, and a fried egg on top. Go ahead….indulge! It’s worth it!
So, you guys…..there’s something I’m super excited about. And it’s happening soon. I’m going to San Francisco! It’s a girls trip…for 4 days…with a group of bloggers I love, and nothing to do but tour the city, taste ALL the food, and (of course) talk shop. Did I mention I’m super excited?
Nearly everyone who’s going is someone I’ve either spent time with in person or spent a decent amount of time chatting with online…and it’s seriously such a fantastic group. Which is why I’m also a little bit nervous. Because with so many people I want to spend time with (15 total)….where do I even begin?! Who do I talk to, when? And how do I make sure I get enough time with everyone?
The obvious answer is just don’t sleep….right? That way I’ll have plenty of time to talk to everyone! Ha! Or…..maybe just stop being a nutcase about it? But here’s the deal. This is like a real struggle for me. It’s a struggle I have at parties and weddings and holiday get togethers. And even though I know it’s irrational (no one really cares how much time I spend with them) I can’t seem to shake it. The struggle is REAL (at least in my mind….)!
So my plan is simple. Focus less on who I am and am not talking to…..and more on all the delicious food I’m most definitely going to be consuming! I really have no idea what to expect….but for some reason I picture it all being a little bit like this Croque Madame. A little bit fancy, a little bit fun, and a LOT delicious. If you’ve never had a Croque Madame, it’s basically a grilled ham and cheese sandwich with the most AMAZING cheese sauce and a fried egg on top. In essence, it’s heaven on a plate.
And when you make it with Phil’s Fresh Eggs, it’s even better! By now I hope you know why I love Phil’s Fresh Eggs so much, but just in case, here’s a refresher: It’s a family run, second generation, cage-free egg production facility that’s committed to producing and selling humanely raised eggs. Their theory is that happy chickens produce better tasting eggs….and I’m on board! Their eggs are delicious. Every time. And when they’re a product I feel good about feeding my family, I really can’t go wrong. The BEST way to top a Croque Madame, hands down. Now if only solving my San Fran problems were as easy. 😉
- 1 Tbsp. mayo
- 1 Tbsp. dijon mustard
- 4 pcs. sourdough or white bread
- 6 slices deli ham
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- 2 extra large Phil's Fresh Eggs
- 1 tsp. minced fresh chives
- 1 Tbsp. salted butter
- 1 Tbsp. all purpose flour
- 3/4 c. milk
- 1 c. shredded Swiss cheese
- In a small bowl, mix mayo and dijon mustard until smooth.
- Divide evenly between two slices of bread, then top each with 3 slices deli ham, 2 slices Swiss cheese, and remaining piece of bread.
- Melt 1 Tbsp. butter in a large skillet.
- Grill sandwiches over medium heat until golden brown on one side.
- Add remaining 1 Tbsp. butter to skillet, flip, and grill until golden brown on both sides.
- *While sandwich is grilling, prepare sauce by melting 1 Tbsp. butter in a small saucepan.
- Stir in flour, then add milk and cook over medium heat, stirring until thickened and bubbly.
- Stir in Swiss cheese until melted.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil.
- Place grilled sandwiches on baking sheet, then pour sauce over sandwiches evenly.
- Broil on low heat 2-4 minutes or until sauce is golden brown and bubbly.
- *While sandwich is broiling, cook 2 extra large Phil's Fresh Eggs over easy.
- Top each sandwich with 1 egg; sprinkle with fresh chives.