I couldn’t help myself. When I saw this asparagus at Trader Joe’s, I had to buy it! First, to use as the finishing touch on my Spring Mantel (you never know where you’ll find inspiration!)…..and second, because it looked too perfect to pass up. As someone who loves making and eating good food, there is nothing better than using the produce of the season to come up with delicious new recipes. In-season produce has the best color, texture, and flavor….and because of its abundance, it usually has the best price, too!
Of course, when I bought it, I was so focused on my mantel that I had no idea how I’d actually use it in an edible sort of way….And then I ran across this seamless crescent dough from Pillsbury….and I imagined the crisp asparagus with the soft crescent roll crust….and that was all it took for me to know exactly how to make perfect asparagus even better…..
….add carbs! And dairy! (would you expect anything less from a Wisconsin girl??) I went back and forth on just the right type of dairy to add….and then, as so often is the case, I settled on what I already had in my fridge: Rondele Parmesan-Peppercorn Spreadable Cheese on the bottom and fresh-shaved Parmesan on top. Yummm. Makes a Wisconsin girl happy 🙂
Asparagus Crescent Squares – A quick appetiezer or side dish
Since Easter is still almost a week away, I knew I couldn’t wait till then to give this a whirl…..so instead I made it yesterday, for lunch, for myself! My kids wouldn’t touch it….not even the bread. I suppose it was tainted by the asparagus….? Of course, the fact that I was the only one eating it didn’t actually matter….nor did it stop me from eating all 3 pieces I had photographed. That said, I think I may need to find a new hobby soon…. maybe once spring is over. 🙂
Asparagus Crescent Squares
- 1 roll Pillsbury Recipe Creations Seamless Crescent Dough
- 1/3 c. Rondele Parmesan Peppercorn Gourmet Spreadable Cheese
- 1/2 bunch fresh asparagus the thinner, the better, woody ends trimmed
- 1/4 c. Fresh-shaved parmesan cheese
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Press crescent dough on bottom and up sides of a lightly greased 11x7 in. baking pan.
- Spread 1/3 c. Rondele spreadable cheese over unbaked dough.
- Top with asparagus stalks, olive oil, and salt & pepper to taste.
- Bake 10 minutes, then cover edges of crust with foil to prevent over-browning.
- Bake an additional 5-10 minutes or until crust is golden brown and asparagus is tender.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Cut to serve.Can be served warm or at room temperature.
Are you an asparagus lover? Some of my blogging friends have some amazing Asparagus recipes too!