This Cherry Almond Arugula Salad combines fresh baby arugula with sweet cherries, almonds, goat cheese, and grilled chicken for delicious summer salad that’s perfect as a main dish or on the side!
I’m prepping myself, you guys. The time is near….and I can taste it. Just one more day and Nora is done with preschool; just one more week and the girls are off for the summer. Like I said, I’m prepping myself. Let the chaos begin!
The feeling is the same every year. Part excitement, mostly dread. It has nothing to do with not wanting to spend time with my kids….and everything to do with knowing that a summer with four kids is exhausting. And consuming. And if I feel like I’m scrambling to get things done now….I really need to brace myself!
The funny thing? I’ve been doing this for years. And every year I have the same idea: work ahead so I can take the summer off. And every year it’s the same story. Did I work ahead? Of course not. Who has time for working ahead??
So here’s my plan: drink (and post) a lot of cocktails. Ha! Just kidding. My real plan? Make sure I’m treating myself to lots of delicious meals….and then share them with all of you. You can be like my pseudo lunch dates. My sanity keepers. Because clearly I’ll be needing help with that. Sound like a plan?
So let’s kick off our lunch dates with this awesome Cherry Almond Arugula Salad. This salad makes use of leftover grilled chicken and is loaded up with all my favorite things – cherries, almonds, goat cheese….and a honey dijon vinaigrette. With basil! It’s the perfect balance of flavors and textures, and such a great way to kick off summer break. And the really great thing about it? It works equally well as a main dish or side dish, and you can easily add more of any ingredient according to your tastes.
You hear that, summer? We’re ready for you. And so is this Cherry Almond Arugula Salad.
- 1 bag (7 oz.) fresh baby arugula
- 1 c. fresh cherries, halved
- 1 large grilled chicken breast, thinly sliced
- ½ c. roughly chopped unsalted almonds
- 4 oz. crumbled goat cheese
- 1 ring thinly sliced red onion, quartered
- For dressing:
- ½ c. olive oil
- ½ c. white balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- 1 Tbsp. dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp. minced fresh basil
- In a large salad bowl, layer arugula with cherries, chicken breast, almonds, goat cheese, and onion.
- Combine dressing ingredients and shake well; drizzle on salad as desired.
- *You may not use all of the dressing.