Lemon quick bread with the delicious addition of toasted coconut and citrus honey butter – perfect for spring!
Well….we made it to Friday! Good for us!! And I thought I’d finish the week with a bang….so I have not one, but TWO posts for you today! Did you catch the first one? It’s a Blendtec Giveaway I’m doing with 16 other amazing bloggers! Be sure to check it out if you haven’t already….(click here)….and then, let’s talk about this Lemon-Coconut Quick Bread!
I LOVE making quick breads…..can you guess why? You got it! Because they’re QUICK! And easy. And hard to mess up. Which are all key when you’re a mom! My baking is typically interrupted about 18 times per recipe….with crying kids or homework help requests or diaper changes or phone calls….so I need “sturdy” recipes that can hold up to a lot of nonsense! Our go-to quick bread is the old stand-by, banana bread, but I thought it would be fun to try something new and different for spring!
We are a bit lemon obsessed (which makes sense with a name like Lemon Tree Dwelling, right??) and we also have a definite thing for coconut, which we discovered last year around this time when we made coconut macaroons for the first time. Putting the two together in this bread was the BEST decision EVER….and topping it with citrus honey butter was a close second!
If you’ve never had flavored honey butter, you MUST try it! I’m not a huge butter fan, but I honestly can’t pass this stuff up!! To be fair, the bread is delicious without it….but once you try it, you’ll never go back. Kinda like once you try this Lemon-Coconut Quick Bread, it will be a while before you can go back to your old stand-by. The good news is it’s quick enough, easy enough, and hard enough to mess up that you won’t be complaining!!
- 1 c. lightly packed sweetened coconut
- 3 c. flour
- 1 c. sugar
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ¾ tsp. salt
- 1½ c. milk
- 1 egg
- ¾ tsp. lemon extract
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp. almond extract
- zest of 1 lemon
- ½ stick butter, softened
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- ½ tsp. lemon juice
- ½ tsp. lime juice
- zest of ½ lemon and ½ lime
- Spread coconut on a baking sheet and toast at 350 degrees until golden brown (7-10 min.)
- In a medium bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Whisk together milk, egg, extracts and lemon zest in a bowl until blended.
- Stir in the coconut and flour mixture, stiring just until moistened.
- Spoon batter into a greased 5x9 inch loaf pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 55-60 minutes or until wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes in pan, then invert onto wire rack to cool completely.
- *Recipe adapted from An Occasion to Gather
- Combine all ingredients in small bowl and mix until smooth.
*I originally shared this recipe at Or So She Says.
Be sure to check out my Orange Honey Butter Recipe, too!!