Strawberry Shortcake Pops

Strawberry Shortcake Pops- the quintessential summer dessert….on a stick!

Strawberry Shortcake Pops! All the flavors of your favorite summer dessert in cake pop form!

One of my favorite summer memories is going strawberry picking with my family. Despite the early morning and the hot sun and the hours of squatting as we made our way through rows and rows of strawberries…..it always felt totally worth it. Probably because the strawberries were so fresh and juicy and flavorful. Probably because I tended to eat as many as I put in the basket. Probably because I loved having our kitchen table and counter tops filled with baskets upon baskets of strawberries that I knew would be turned into strawberry pies, strawberry jam, and strawberry shortcake. Strawberry picking meant that, for two weeks out of the summer, we were in strawberry heaven.

These days, it’s hard to find a place to pick strawberries. Most of the farms we went to as children have shut down….and of those that are still around, only a few still offer strawberry picking. But it’s just not summer without strawberries…..so even if we can’t pick ’em, we will still be eating ’em. All summer long. Starting now.

All you  need to whip up these sweet little treats is pound cake (I had some leftover from girls’ night fondue!), fresh strawberries, whipped cream frosting, and white chocolate for coating. They taste JUST like strawberry shortcake….but since everything is more fun on a stick….they’re even better! Perfect for a party, a baby shower, or a simple summer treat!

So even if you’re not in strawberry heaven….you will definitely be in strawberry shortcake heaven. Which is at least as good….if not better….especially if you ask your kids!

Strawberry Shortcake Pops

• ½ prepared pound cake, crumbled (a little more than 2 c.)
  • ¾ c. Betty Crocker "Whipped" Whipped Cream Frosting
  • 6-8 large strawberries (1 c. chopped)
  • 2 c. white chocolate, melted
  • lollipop sticks (available at Michael's or JoAnn Fabrics)
  1. Mix pound cake, frosting, and strawberries together in a medium bowl.
  2. Roll into 1½ inch balls.
  3. Cut or break lollipop sticks in half; twist 1 stick into the center of each cake ball, about halfway in.
  4. Freeze until firm.
  5. Dip pops in melted white chocolate to cover.
  6. Chill until ready to serve.
  7. Makes 2 dozen

Comments

These look amazing. So amazing, that my daughter thought she would surprise me with them. Unfortunately, she read step 1: “Mix all ingredients together in a medium bowl” and did just that. She didn’t realize that the melted white chocolate didn’t go into the mixture. It was an ooey gooey mess, but it tasted good!

• Stacey says

Can you tell me what is Whipped Whip Cream Frosting? These look yummy and I think I’m going to make them for an upcoming baby shower.

Hi Stacey, It’s a Betty Crocker frosting! If you can’t find it, any type of fluffy whipped frosting would work. Hope this helps!

Oh my gosh these look amazing! I am finding your link on Mop It Up Monday and I would love to invite you over to Party In Polka Dots to link this up! One of my most popular posts is my Strawberry Shortcake Party Printable Set and these would def catch the eye of my readers! Yummy and super cute presentation!

Hope to see you there!

Shelley

Honestly, I think you have the best food! I just love these little balls of sweet strawberries and cake! Thank you for sharing this at the In and Out of the Kitchen Link party! I am always excited to see what you bring next!

I am writing a post about strawberry dressing and am wondering if I can use your photo and of course it would be linked to you? The post will go up tomorrow, 5/22 Please email me or leave a message on my blog! Thanks so much!

Cynthia at http://FeedingBig.com

Oh, these look so yummy and pretty! You know I had to pin those beauties!! I can’t wait to make these. Thank you so much for sharing at A Bouquet of Talent! I hope you are having a wonderful week!! :)
    XOXO
    Kathy

amazing! I haven’t made cake pops yet… but I love all the ideas out there :o) Thanks for linking up to Tasteful Tuesdays:o) Can’t wait to see what you bring next week. Emily @ Nap-Time Creations
    oh, and I just posted looking for some help with my blog… maybe you can offer some advice?

My daughter is obsessed with strawberry cake right now {strawberry anything actually} so this simple, yummy dessert is so perfect! These would actually be really cute for a July 4th party too…just add blue sugar sprinkles and you have a little red, white and blue bite! Thanks so much for sharing at Much Ado About Monday!

What a delicious treat! I’m thinking of taking my daughter strawberry picking this weekend for the first time. :) This would be the perfect treat to make with what we pick.

So very cool and easy! I hope you don’t mind that I’ve reposted it at my gallery, “The Blog Post Office”. It’s like a reverse linky. Please let me know if you are not happy with that, I can always remove it for you. But I’m really hoping you won‘t mind as all the posts will be a gallery of wonderful items.

9. jessica says

These look wonderful!! I was wondering if is crucial that they’re refrigerated?? I’m going on a 3 hour trip and was planning on making them before so they will be in a car for about 3 hours. Didnt know if that would ruin them??

Hi Jessica! I would suggest leaving them in the refrigerator until you are ready to go and then maybe taking them in a small cooler to keep them somewhat chilled. Would that work?? Hope you enjoy!!

10. Toni Halstad says

I tried to find pound cake in my local grocery store and they didn’t have any, but they did have an Angel Food cake… do you know if that would work or would it change the texture too much to work? Can’t wait to try these but don’t want to waste the ingredients of it won’t turn out. Has anyone tried these with Angel Food cake instead?

Hi Toni,
      Did you look in the baking aisle for a box mix? And/or there is always the homemade pound cake option, but I realize this would take a lot more time. I would be leery of using angel food cake, as I don’t think the texture of it would be right! Hope this helps!
      Cathy

11. denise says

Love this page recipe are so easy to follow not require to buy a lot of extra supplies. Thanks so much keep it going.

12. Jess says

I do NOT recommend this recipe!! They do not roll into balls, because there’s nothing holding them together. I even tried adding a bunch of flour. And the ball situation is just going to make everything else past that point infuriating. Hate this recipe. So much.

I’m really sorry you had this experience! They do form into balls (just like cake pops) and the frosting holds them together.

• Marguerite says

I doubled the recipe, but found the mixture to be very soft, so added more pound cake – twice as much in fact, a total of 8 cups. Even then, I still found it hard to make the balls – they flattened a bit on the cookie sheet before I put them in the freezer. I ran out of room on the cookie sheets so put the rest of the mixture in the refrigerator while I let the first batch harden in the freezer. Later, when I did get the mixture out of the frig to work with it, I found it much easier to work with. Another thing that might help is pre-chilling the cookie sheet in the freezer so it is already cold when you put the cake balls on it. Then place back in the freezer to completely harden.

I would also suggest taking the frozen balls out in small batches since they actually thawed pretty quickly (or perhaps I didn’t freeze them long enough – I only had them in their about 3 hours), once thawed it is almost impossible to dip in the melted chocolate. So I reformed them into balls and stuck them back into the freezer.

Overall, this is a fun recipe – and next time I’m sure I can avoid the challenges I had this time.

13. Stephanie says

This is my first attempt at making cake pops so I’m not sure what to expect, really. It was a bit gooey. I found a small pound cake and used the whole thing but maybe it still wasn’t enough cake. I just put them in the freezer and am hoping that as they freeze it will be easier to work with. I did taste a little of the mix before forming balls and it tastes delicious. I think about frosting and how hard it gets once it’s refrigerated so I hope these stay hardened up as they are eaten and don’t come out to be a gooey mess.