This Caramel Apple Coffee Cake is the ultimate taste of fall! Loaded with fresh apples and topped with gooey caramel, this is one breakfast treat your family will ask for again and again!
So I’m officially not a new mom anymore. Not that there was really any question (our oldest is 11 and our youngest is 3)….but I feel like it’s finally hit me. Because any time I see a mom doing all the things new moms do, all I can think is “been there, done that.” And now….I’m kinda glad to be done with it.
Don’t get me wrong…there are things I LOVED about the new mom stage. There was something so special about experiencing everything for the first time and wanting to “do it all” with my kids. There was something magical about seasons and holidays and anything new. And, looking back, I really did do a lot! Because, well, that’s what new moms do. Especially when it comes to fall. Between apple picking and pumpkin farms and leaf piles and Halloween, fall is packed with so many fun activities.
And back in the day? Fall was like my paradise! But I have to admit….now that I’m not a new mom anymore I’ve totally been slacking in the area of fall fun. In fact, as my kids remind me regularly, I’m pretty sure we didn’t do ANY of it last year. No apple picking or pumpkin carving or hayrides or caramel apples. And even though I can kind of blame it on our busy schedule and the kids getting older, the reality is I kinda just dropped the ball. Because that’s what you do when you’re not a new mom.
But this year? I’m determined to be better. I want to do all the stuff of fall….starting with this Caramel Apple Coffee Cake. Sure, it might not be exactly the same as caramel apples, but it comes pretty darn close! Between the fresh apples and the sweet caramel and the delicious streusel topping, it’s basically like dessert for breakfast. Which is NEVER a bad idea. My kids have loved my Peach Cobbler Coffee Cake and my Lemon Raspberry Coffee Cake, and this Caramel Apple Coffee Cake is no different. In fact, they may even love it more because….CARAMEL! And because it gets us in the mood for fall. Whether you’re a new mom or not, you’re going to love this Caramel Apple Coffee Cake….and your kids will love it too! Happy Fall, everyone!
- 2 c. all purpose flour
- 2½ tsp. baking powder
- ¼ c. butter, softened
- ½ c. brown sugar
- ½ c. sour cream
- ¼ c. caramel topping
- ¼ c. milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 c. peeled, chopped apples
- 1 c. brown sugar
- ⅔ c. flour
- 6 Tbsp. softened butter
- *caramel topping for drizzling
- In a medium bowl, combine 2 c. flour and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, cream butter and brown sugar.
- Blend in sour cream, caramel topping, and milk and mix until smooth. Stir in egg and vanilla.
- Add dry ingredients and mix just until blended.
- Fold in apples.
- Spoon batter into a 10 inch springform pan and sprinkle with crumble topping (see below).
- Bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes or until center is set and top is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and cool.
- Drizzle with caramel topping before serving.
- Combine 1 c. brown sugar, ⅔ c. flour in a bowl.
- Cut in 6 Tbsp. softened butter until mixture is crumbly.