Pumpkin Coffee Cake with cinnamon streusel topping is the ultimate taste of fall! This recipe is packed with delicious pumpkin flavor and topped with a crunchy, buttery streusel topping. Perfect for holiday brunches or a special fall treat, if you love all things pumpkin, this Pumpkin Coffee Cake is sure to become a new favorite!
When it comes to breakfast, I’m usually all about eggs. Scrambled, over easy, omelettes, you name it. I’m an egg lover through and through.
But. When it comes to special occasions, like holidays or birthdays or a fun brunch with friends….someone please tell me there will be coffee cake.
I’m such a sucker for it, and I love all kinds. And this delicious Pumpkin Coffee Cake? There’s just something about it that gets me every time.
Maybe it’s the streusel topping or the fact that it goes so well with my morning coffee. Or maybe it’s just the simple fact that I’m eating cake for breakfast. I mean…how is that even acceptable….?
Yet, somehow, it is. And it’s not only acceptable, but with my family it’s actually expected. A brunch without coffee cake would be like a birthday without presents. In other words, not okay!
Luckily, this Pumpkin Coffee Cake is not only delicious, it’s also super easy to make. And you can never go wrong with a heavy dose of streusel.
And…just because it’s coffee cake doesn’t mean it’s just for breakfast. It amwould make a great dessert, too. Which means it really is the perfect addition to any meal!
HOW DO YOU MAKE PUMPKIN COFFEE CAKE?
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine and cream 1/4 cup softened salted butter and 3/4 cup brown sugar.
- Add 1 cup pumpkin puree, 1/2 cup milk, and 1 egg. Mix until well blended.
- Add 2 cups flour, 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder, 1 Tablespoon pumpkin pie spice, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Mix just until blended.
- Spread mixture into a greased 8×8 inch baking pan.
- Prepare streusel topping (see below) and sprinkle evenly over coffee cake.
- Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes, until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
HOW DO YOU MAKE STREUSEL TOPPING?
- Combine 3/4 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup flour, 4 Tablespoons salted butter (softened) and 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice.
- Use a fork or pastry blender to mix ingredients together.
- Streusel is ready when mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
Coffee Cake can be stored in a number of ways:
- At room temperature, covered, for 2-3 days.
- Refrigerated in an airtight container for 1 week.
- Frozen, wrapped tightly and sealed in an airtight freezer bag or container for up to 6 months.
WHY IS IT CALLED COFFEE CAKE?
Contrary to popular belief, most coffee cakes are not actually made with coffee. Rather, it’s believed that the term “coffee cake” came about sometime in the 17th century, when Northern/Central Europeans came up with the idea of eating sweet cakes while having their coffee. Today, coffee cakes are typically served as part of a breakfast and are often made for special occasions.
More delicious breakfast recipes
- Caramel Apple Coffee Cake
- Peach Cobbler Coffee Cake
- Cranberry Pecan Coffee Cake
- Lemon Raspberry Coffee Cake
- Pineapple Upside Down Coffee Cake
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread
- Cranberry Pumpkin Bread
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Baked Oatmeal Muffins
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 Tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (or 1/2 teaspoon if using unsalted butter)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup salted butter, softened
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 4 Tablespoons salted butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl, cream butter and brown sugar.
- Mix in pumpkin puree, milk, and egg.
- Add dry ingredients and mix just until blended.
- Spoon batter into a greased 8x8 inch baking pan.
- Prepare streusel by mixing ingredients together with a fork or pastry blender until they resemble coarse crumbs.
- Sprinkle streusel topping evenly over batter
- Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes, until top is golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 270Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 37mgSodium: 225mgCarbohydrates: 45gFiber: 1gSugar: 23gProtein: 4g