I thought about the things 6 year olds love: Friends. Challenges. Prizes. Fun. I thought about the ways I would like to see her to spend her time off: Engaged. Creative. Productive. (Read: too busy to complain about being bored!) I thought about how we could both get what we want out of this Fall break. It’s possible…… (Right?) Right!! With the help of this “Bored Out of My Gourd” Challenge I created!
- Create a new snack recipe using ingredients you find in the cupboard.
- Write a little note and draw a little picture to mail to a far-away friend.
- Trace your hands and feet on paper and turn them into fun drawings.
- Dig through the recycling bin and find a new use for something. Decorate and use it!
- Find different textures throughout the house and use them to make crayon rubbings.
- Take photos of 10 favorite things around the house or yard.
- Write an original Haiku.
- Create a new painting technique.
- Cut, wrap, tie or pin an old t-shirt to make clothes for a stuffed animal.
- Use anything you can find around the house to transform your bedroom into an alternate location of your choice (e.g. zoo, hospital, park, movie theater, salon…)
I wrote each idea on a small piece of cardstock, then folded it up and numbered it.
I made a deal with Ellia: If you complete all 10 “tasks” by the time your break is over, we can go to Yo Mama’s for ice cream. I figure, if nothing else, at least she’ll keep busy trying to earn herself a sundae! Better yet, maybe she’ll actually find herself having – gasp! – fun at home!