Mozzarella Sticks are everyone’s favorite appetizer, and this air fryer version is the BEST. Gooey melted mozzarella cheese covered in crispy panko bread crumbs and Italian seasoning, they’re everything you’d expect out of fried Mozzarella Sticks… without any oil! And they’re especially delicious dipped in our homemade Marinara Sauce!
When it comes to appetizers, Mozzarella Sticks are always at the top of the list. You just can’t beat the combination of gooey, melty cheese with a crispy bread crumb coating… and when you dip them in your favorite sauce? They’re pretty much the best thing ever!
They’re one of our favorite appetizers to order at a restaurant… but did you know they’re also super easy to make at home? Dangerous, I know. But SO worth it.
These delicious little bites are coated, not just once, but twice in a simple combination of panko bread crumbs and seasonings. The double coating helps the cheese stay inside, while also making them extra crispy, crunchy, and delicious.
As a bonus? They get that way without using ANY oil! Which basically means they’re healthy. Right? So let’s go enjoy them!
I absolutely love the fact that you can make restaurant-style Mozzarella Sticks… at home… with just a handful of ingredients! Who knew that your favorite little snack was actually so quick and easy to make?
- 6 mozzarella cheese sticks (string cheese)
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2-3 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
Be sure to fully coat the mozzarella stick every step of the way. The flour, egg, and bread crumb mixture are all essential to the success of the recipe! I would also strongly recommend double coating them, although you don’t absolutely have to. Just a warning – the cheese may ooze out if you don’t!
- In a small bowl, combine bread crumbs, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- Whisk the eggs in a second bowl and add the flour to a third bowl.
- Dip each mozzarella stick into the flour, then the egg, then the bread crumb mixture. Be sure it is fully coated each time.
- Dip the coated mozzarella stick back into the egg, then into the bread crumb mixture again.
- Spray air fryer basket with olive oil using an oil mister (**do NOT use aerosol cooking spray, as it can damage the inside of the basket**).
- Place mozzarella sticks in air fryer basket, being careful not to overcrowd, and air fry at 400° for 6-8 minutes, flipping halfway through. Watch carefully to make sure they don’t overcook!
- Repeat as necessary until all mozzarella sticks are done.
🌶 Recipe variations
- Substitute regular or Italian seasoned breadcrumbs for panko bread crumbs
- Leave the mozzarella sticks whole for a larger bite
- Add garlic powder, cayenne pepper, cumin, or any of your favorite seasonings in place of Italian seasoning
- Substitute cheddar cheese sticks for mozzarella
- Dip mozzarella sticks in ranch dressing, garlic aioli, or any of your favorite dipping sauces
♨️ Storing & reheating
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week. To reheat, remove from container and reheat in the air fryer OR in the oven at 350° for 10 minutes, until cheese is melted.
🥟 Related recipes
Are you always on the lookout for delicious restaurant-quality appetizers you can make at home? So are we! These are some of our favorites!
- Air Fryer Onion Rings
- Air Fryer Chicken Tenders
- Crab Rangoon
- Egg Rolls
- Loaded Potato Skins
- BBQ Chicken Wonton Cups
- Mini Crab Cakes
Looking for the perfect sauce to dip your mozzarella sticks in? These are some of our favorites!
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 319Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 173mgSodium: 782mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 19g