Deliciously smooth vanilla cupcakes stuffed with toasted coconut and lime zest….all topped in lime cream cheese frosting! Your own personal tropical paradise!
Hello, Friends! I’m so excited to be helping my friend Jamie from Love Bakes Good Cakes celebrate her 2nd Blogiversary!! I’ve joined together with a fabulous group of bloggers to put together a Cupcake Party! How fun is that!? And best of all….we’re inviting you to join in the fun! Feel free to add your cupcakes to the end of this post, and then take a look at some others. I have no doubt you’ll LOVE what you see!
Speaking of love….I LOVE these cupcakes. Not only because they’re delicious, but because they remind me of one of the best weeks of my life: my honeymoon! It was nearly 10 years ago now….but I seriously remember it like it was yesterday. We went to Sanibel Island in Florida, stayed in Jorden’s aunt’s condo, spent lots of time at the beach, rode our bikes everywhere we went, ate lots and lots of crab legs, stayed up late playing cards and drinking pina coladas, and sampled key lime pie everywhere we went!
Yep…that’s right. Key lime pie! I don’t think either of us had ever tried it before, and we suddenly became obsessed with finding the BEST key lime pie on the island! We had it with lunch, we had it with dinner….I’m pretty sure we even got a piece here or there to take home for a late night snack. And honestly, I never got tired of it!
To this day, I still love key lime pie. In fact, I love key lime everything! Martinis, cookies, meltaways, fudge….you name it, and I’m IN! I even like key lime pie gum…(have you tried it?)….although it doesn’t quite compare to the real thing. With warm weather around the corner, I find myself thinking more and more about lime goodness! I am so ready for a taste of the tropics….!
So here we have it. Coconut-Lime Cupcakes with Lime Cream Cheese Frosting. Part St. Patrick’s Day, part tropical paradise. ALL amazingly delicious! Sure, I’d rather be eating them on Sanibel Island….but at this point in my life that would be asking for too much. I’ll keep my expectations realistic….and my taste buds happy!
- 1¼ c. all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 c. sugar
- ½ c. canola oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ c. sour cream
- ½ c. toasted coconut
- zest of 1 lime
- 1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese
- 1 (3 oz.) package Lime Jello
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 2 Tbsp. heavy whipping cream
- 3 c. powdered sugar
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat egg, yolk, and sugar until thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Mix in oil and vanilla until well blended.
- Mix in sour cream until no white streaks remain.
- Add flour mixture and blend until batter is smooth.
- Stir in toasted coconut and lime zest.
- Pour into 12 muffin tins lined with cupcake liners.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 23 minutes.
- Soften cream cheese and butter.
- Combine cream cheese, butter, Jello, and heavy cream in medium mixing bowl and beat until smooth and thoroughly blended.
- Add powdered sugar and beat 2 minutes.
- *Frosting stores well in refrigerator